Friday 9 July 2010

Shropshire Race Reoprt

Well the first race of the season came and the first race of the season went, pretty quickly (but not as quickly as I had hoped!!).

Actually, who am I trying to kid!

After no base training I was expecting to be well down the placings at my first event. I anticipated that my pace at the start of the bike and swim would be good but the lack of endurance would show and I would struggle towards the end of all three disciplines like I did in the bedford event last year when I raced with a cold.

This was the first of the 3 ranking events I am due to race in 2010 with the aim of placing in the top three. Pre operations I was confident of this, but with time away from racing and reading others results improving I was becoming less sure of my ability.

I lined up at the start of this race with a blank canvas, no expectations of a good placing but to get the rust out of the system before the Europeans the following week.

I examined the results from 2008 (this event didnt run in 2009) and noted that the run was quite slow along with the bike with few going under the hr (although the locals told me it was a TT course and fast?!?). I drove the course with the intention of running a FFWD disc wheel but due to the long drags opted for a deep section on race day.

For ease of digestion, this is how the race went.....

1st mistake....No oil applied pre race to wetsuit meant trouble in T1
2nd mistake....Not clipping helmet in T1 due to trouble with suit
3rd mistake....running back to re-rack and reapply helmet causing 30 second delay
4th mistake....poor fluid mix meant trouble taking on drinks due to syrupy nature

Good points
Really comfortable swim, felt within myself as saving for bike/run
Strong bike for 35k, felt really good and kept with Charles P.
Positioning of 3rd in age and 8th overall beating a number of athletes I feel I am close to. Also not far behind athletes that I would have expected to be close to last year.

Annoying occurance
Despite running back to bike - still got a 2min penalty .

Chip time 2:00:02 (8th)
Actual time 2:02:02.(15th)

Bring on Athlone........

No comments:

About Me

My photo
As an ex-National League Basketball player I took up triathlon as a development from cross training. I won my first Sprint distance race and placed second in my first Olympic distance. Since then I have raced the UK Elite Superseries coming 24th in the National Elite Champs, raced Vegas 70.3 WChamps and helped Paratriathlete Iain Dawson to World, European and National Titles. In 2011 I obtained Pro authorisation from the BTF and am pushing my development by stepping up to top level competition in 2012. Aside from this I am a L1 Swim and Tri coach and Professional Lloyds Broker.