Tuesday 24 January 2012

Training update Week 3 of cycle

Last week was a pretty low week in terms of hours and sessions completed.

I had some good days (3 sessions and 3 1/2 hours done one week day) and some bad days (only making a 90 minute swim on the Saturday). We all know that the weekends (or your days off work) are when you can make hay sunshine or not!

However , all the sessions were good quality and I am coming to understand that this is what counts.

The question is, if you dont have a specific goal in the session should you even be doing it? what is it doing for you? what are the gains?

In coaching you should always have a goal to a session be it to develop your athletes fitness or skills, for example you would have a session that works on aerobic capacity or a session that works on coaching an athlete techniques to improve their efficiency or to learn a new method to streamline their performance such as a running mount out of transition for example.

I make sure that each one of my sessions has a goal, a reason behind them and this helps with motivation. Even if it is something as simple as a low intensity run session to aid recovery (and enable a better performance at the next intense session), it still has a goal.

What are you getting out of your next session??

No comments:

About Me

My photo
As an ex-National League Basketball player I took up triathlon as a development from cross training. I won my first Sprint distance race and placed second in my first Olympic distance. Since then I have raced the UK Elite Superseries coming 24th in the National Elite Champs, raced Vegas 70.3 WChamps and helped Paratriathlete Iain Dawson to World, European and National Titles. In 2011 I obtained Pro authorisation from the BTF and am pushing my development by stepping up to top level competition in 2012. Aside from this I am a L1 Swim and Tri coach and Professional Lloyds Broker.