Tuesday 2 March 2010

Back in training

Oh does that feel good!

I started my first batch of pre-season training last week with a Yoga session on Wednesday (1hr) followed by some dry land stretch band and tech work(1hr). On Thursday I had my first spin on a Turbo for 30 mins easy and a pool session with City of Norwich in the evening (1hr). It felt really good to be back in the water and it felt that I had not lost a great deal in my time off (a little bit slower as I was being very careful with my ankle and couldn't hit the turns as hard as usual).

From this starting point I trained Friday night where Pat put together a solid set for an Hr involving 100m FC repeats - it was good to start building up a little distance a with elements of tech/easy kick inbetween 500m sets but I did cramp a little on the 4th set.

Saturday I went for a gym session with some shoulder and weightless 'motion' work (going through the motions of dry land training without weight to make sure there were no immediate problems with the ankle etc) and then out on the MountainBike for 1hr (thanks to Streetlife for getting this ready to roll!). Sat night was a decent Thai meal (it was nice to get an appetite back without worrying about it too much).

Sunday I had planned to do an easy Run which turned out to be more effort than 'easy'. I know I was very concious of my ankle and as such my tech probably suffered a little and caused other parts to twinge unusually (kneee etc) but this was expected (although I was still a little disapointed!).

Monday Morning has been my best set since I started training again with 1.5hr in the pool with the senior squad. the stroke started to feel good and the dry land work seemed to be paying off. Not sure if I am up to speed yet but after changing my poolside drinks I didnt cramp at all. Good morning!

Monday night was back to the resistance bands as I decided that after 3 months of no training I was probably overdoing it coming straight back in as I had (5 days in a row) the last thing I want is to overtrain at this stage.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
As an ex-National League Basketball player I took up triathlon as a development from cross training. I won my first Sprint distance race and placed second in my first Olympic distance. Since then I have raced the UK Elite Superseries coming 24th in the National Elite Champs, raced Vegas 70.3 WChamps and helped Paratriathlete Iain Dawson to World, European and National Titles. In 2011 I obtained Pro authorisation from the BTF and am pushing my development by stepping up to top level competition in 2012. Aside from this I am a L1 Swim and Tri coach and Professional Lloyds Broker.